Pages

Thursday, October 16, 2014

What's Next?

I've been spending the past few days debating about what to do about some things in my life, mostly in relation to blogging (hence my online absence for a few days).

My book is going to be published next year sometime, and I'm an unknown author.  This makes me feel a little nervous about how my book is going to sell... because people can say all day long things like "Oh, it doesn't matter if it sells or not, at least you got published!" but that's not the reality.  The reality is that I would like for this to be a source of income. Ultimately (and I'm just being completely honest), I want to do this full-time, or at least have my books be successful enough so that it will lead to full-time employment of some sort.


No pressure, right?  And so, this weekend, my wife and I discussed ways to possibly market the book and we came up with some ideas that I'll be rolling out over the next few months.

One of my ideas is that I want to create a somewhat interactive website on the world of my book Scar of the Downers (some other authors have done this successfully).  I've kind of started it already (click here if you're interested), and my plan is to have the map of the land and drawings of some of the characters, with blurbs/histories/stories about them and their world.

I'm also going to cut down my blogging on this site to Tuesdays and Thursdays only, and I think I'm going to try to focus on the topic of "Encouraging Creativity in Children" or something like that. My wife and I try to foster creativity in our kids, and we have a lot of conversations with each other about what we think that entails.  Maybe some other people might think that would be interesting as well.

Well, I'm signing off now because the littlest one is systematically pouring spoonfuls of her cereal and milk down her shirt and all of a sudden she doesn't like it.  Impromptu wipe down is about to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment